Monday, October 31, 2011

Atlantic Salmon with Dill, Chilli and Soy

One of my absolute favourite foods in the world is Atlantic Salmon. Give it to me smoked, cured, roasted, grilled, poached, raw in sushi--- I adore it! It is my staple 'healthy' food. I know I can eat it when on a health kick because its high in all the 'good' fats but not the bad fats, yet it is so delicious that it actually feels as though you are eating a treat food.

Now usually I scope out the seafood section of Coles or Safeway and grab it when its almost at its use by date, 2 fillets for 8 bucks or whatnot then put it in the freezer until we need it. But today, I had two beautiful big fillets of Salmon ($14) from a seafood wholesaler in Essendon, and I knew I had to do something good with them. (On a side note, this salmon was phenomonal compared to the packet stuff from Safeway or Coles... there was no comparison, you could tell the difference in quality- if only I could afford it everyday!)

I encountered a problem at first, because I had Dill in my fridge, which is pretty much Salmon's bff (best friend forever for those of you who aren't exposed to the ''catch phrases" of the youth of today like I am on a daily basis). But then I had a hankering for an Asian style sauce served over some brown rice. I was faced with the culinary question of- can Dill be 'Asian-ised'? Some quick googling came across a couple of bloggers who had posted recipes that combined dill and soy, so I decided to experiment with my own recipe.

The result was pretty damn yum, so I thought I would share it with you!

Atlantic Salmon with Dill, Chilli and Soy
(Excuse the amateur photography!)

Serves 2
2 decent size salmon fillets, skin removed
Large handful of dill, chopped
1/2 large red chilli, seeds removed, chopped
3 stalks of spring onion, chopped
2 teaspoons of garlic
1 cup of soy sauce
Tablespoon of lime juice
Tablespoon of honey
Brown Rice and steamed vegies of your choice (to serve)
*** I cook my brown rice in chicken stock to give it a little more flavour!

In a bowl combine the dill, chilli, spring onion, garlic, soy, lime juice and honey. Mix until combined. In a large flat baking dish, lay out the salmon fillets and spoon over the marinade. Leave the excess marinade in the bottom for the fish to poach in. Cook for 20 minutes on 180 degrees.

Serve atop brown rice and spoon the excess marinade over the top--- more if you love soy sauce, less if you just like a taste of it like my boyfriend does... and he complained that his dish was 'too soy-saucey' but still nice.

Salmon is just such a versatile and easy dish to cook- you can chuck in the frypan, the oven, on the BBQ... lovely with a simple squeeze of lemon or amazing with an Asian marinade, you can pretty much do anything with it!!! And, no need to feel guilty, even though as you eat it you may just feel like you are cheating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)