Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday afternoon High Tea (Zucchini Slice Recipe)


A lovely girlfriend of mine held a ladies high tea at her house this Sunday afternoon, a chance to meet new people, sip champagne and eat some really yummy afternoon tea goodies--- sausage rolls, zucchini slice, biscuits, chocolate mousse tarts, little caramel tarts, dips and biccies, pastries, fruit platter. A very enjoyable afternoon indeed.

Seeing as I love cooking so much, as you can imagine I umm-ed and aah-ed over what to contribute to this High Tea spread. I always find it difficult to cook for people I don't know. I love chilli, but I know a lot of people don't... I love little mini pancakes with smoked salmon but I know a lot of people don't love smoked salmon or seafood in general. I should probably also admit right now that my weakness is baking and sweets. I make an awesome apple crumble, and a great chocolate mousse... but ask me to bake a great cake or slice or muffins and its very hit and miss. So, for these reasons I decided to make something I can never resist at afternoon tea or lunch-time- a good old zucchini slice--- except I put my own modern spin on it. Nothing like taking a classic and making it your own!

My twist on Zucchini Slice


5 eggs
1 cup self raising flour, sifted
1 zucchini, grated
1 onion, finely chopped
5 thin slices of proscuitto chopped or shredded into bite-size pieces
1 chilli, seeds removed, chopped finely
teaspoon crushed garlic
1/4 cup of olive oil
spray oil, to cook
1 cup grated vintage cheddar cheese
handful of crumbled danish fetta
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
In a frypan, lightly saute the garlic and onion until soft. Add the chilli and proscuitto and saute for three minutes or until softened. Set aside.
In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add the flour. Beat until combined (with an electric mixer). Add the grated zucchini, cheese, and onion/proscuitto/chilli mix. Crumble feta over the mixture and add a pinch of salt and pepper or to taste. Add olive oil. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. I sometimes add a dash of milk here if the mix is too thick.
Pour into a large lamington tray lined with baking paper 
Cook for about 20 minutes or until browned on top.
Serve either warm or cold.

Such a great and easy dish to cook when entertaining, and this modern spin really gives it a little more zing. Not that there is anything wrong with the original! Enjoy.

L x


1 comment:

  1. I will have to try this...yum yum. I use my trusty grandmothers method...throw it what you want, add an egg and into a hot oven! lol it always works and I developed my own ways like you but I love that you use proscuitto instead of bacon!

    Loving your recipies hun,keep them coming ;)It's nice to see some more, adult..recipies then what I'm used too these days LOL

    x

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)