Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Asian Mushroom Broth with Atlantic Salmon

One of the greatest things about loving cooking, and being quite confident with it (if I do say so myself), is that when you get a craving for something--- you can make it! I was feeling a bit flat and 'blah' today, and all I felt like was a wholesome, cleansing soup. Seeing as I had another beautiful Atlantic Salmon fillet in the fridge, I decided to incorporate that into a soup. The rest of my inspiration came from a mixed mushroom noodle soup I had a while ago from Maney's Dumplings in Bundoora. It was a couple of days after I had four wisdom teeth taken out, and the beautiful soft mushrooms, noodles and a rich, Asian broth was so comforting (and easy to mash with my gums) when I was feeling very average.

So tonight I combined my two loves- Asian Soups and Atlantic Salmon... and what a perfect pairing it was! I am sure I have mentioned it several times on here before, but I honestly believe that Asian soups have medicinal qualities... there is something about the hydration you get from broth, and the natural remedies of ginger, garlic and chili that just seems to work. I swear by it!

Asian Mushroom Broth with Atlantic Salmon


Ingredients (serves 2)

Large Atlantic Salmon fillet, halved
1 litre of chicken stock
teaspoon garlic
teaspoon  ginger
one red chili, thinly sliced
squeeze of lime
splash of soy sauce
splash of fish sauce
one leek (white part only) sliced very thinly
8 button mushrooms, sliced thinly
150 grams mixed Asian mushrooms, sliced thinly (enoki, oyster, black mushrooms etc)
Udon noodles

First you need to make your Asian stock. Heat your stock, and add the garlic, ginger, chili, lime, soy sauce, fish sauce. Simmer for half an hour, then strain. In a large work or frypan, with a little spray of oil, stir-fry the leeks and mushrooms for a few minutes or until softened. Place the salmon fillets on the mushrooms and leek, then pour the stock over to poach the salmon. Simmer for ten minutes.


While your salmon is poaching, place the udon noodles in a bowl or container and cover with boiling water for three minutes. Then, in the bottom of your soup bowls, arrange the udon noodles. When the salmon is poached, spoon the mushroom and leek mix over the noodles, then ladle some stock over the top. Place the salmon on top of the stock, mushrooms and noodles. Garnish with a little chopped chili and coriander if you wish.



Then, enjoy the healthy soup-y goodness!!!
I sure did....

L xo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)