Saturday, November 12, 2011

An Asian twist on the good old Chicken Schnitz!

Last week I had a craving for a good old Chicken Schnitzel. However, I did not feel like eating it in parmigana form or in any of the typical 'Aussie' ways that we serve it. So I decided to combine my love for Asian food with my craving, and made an Asian style Chicken Schnitzel.

Now there's several ways to do this-

* Use panko crumbs instead of bread crumbs. Panko crumbs are often used in Japanese cooking and are a crisper, lighter kind of crumb. Also works really good with Pork Tonkatsu style dishes.
* Mix some Chinese five spice into your crumbs before you coat the chicken.
* Serve the chicken schnitzel in pieces in an Asian style salad or coleslaw.

Or, what I did on this particular evening-

* Serve the chicken schnitzel with a squeeze of lemon juice and a yummy chow-mein noodle stir-fry.

The crunchy schnitzel (which I did in the oven with some spray oil to avoid completely throwing my diet out the window) was a perfect match with the softness of the noodles with garlic and oyster sauce!

When I was looking for recipes, I found that schnitzel's aren't traditionally even served with chips like we do here in Australia, and that they often were served with vegetables, a potato salad or a savoury noodle dish.

Its amazing how easy it is to create a new, different dish out of a modern classic. I believe we should never stop re-inventing dishes... variety is the spice of life ;)

L xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment or question about my adventures! =)